On December 15th, the DRCA held an online Crime Prevention session
with our Calgary Police Service community resource officer. We had over
50 residents attend the session and had some very good questions. We
encourage all residents to watch the edited one hour video and nightly
implement the 9 pm home routine as posted on our website to help prevent
For recent crime statistics as provided by the City of Calgary, please click HERE.
Unfortunately, thieves occasionally target Discovery Ridge for break and enters and vehicle prowling. The Calgary Police Service has increased patrols through helicopter coverage, road and bike patrols. However, they need our help. Most of the crimes occur are crimes of opportunity. To help prevent crime there a few daily steps that every household should do:
- Ensure all outside doors are locked
- Turn on your outside front and back door lights to deter thieves from checking the doors
- Ensure that all vehicles in or out of the garage are locked and no valuables are left inside
- Make sure you lock your mudroom door (between the house and garage)
- If you are working or relaxing in your backyard ensure that your garage is closed
- Do not leave your or your guest’s vehicle parked in the Griffith Woods parking lot overnight since a number of vehicles have been broken in
- Do not leave your keys in your vehicle – even if they are hidden – thieves have easily found them
We can all work together to discourage the dangerous, destructive and illegal activities that can happen in Discovery Ridge and the adjacent Griffith Woods Park.
We must all do our part to ensure it remains a family oriented and safe neighbourhood and beautiful City park. Ensure that you lock your vehicles and be on the look out for suspicious activity within Griffith Woods Park including people who are hiking in with coolers, fire wood or who are being a general nuisance & misusing the area.
We ask all Discovery Residents to do their part and report what they see:
Call 911 for:
– Drinking and Driving
– Open Fires
– Illegal or suspicious activity underway
– Public Intoxication or Disturbing the Peace
– Graffiti in progress
– Vandalism in progress
Call Police Non-Emergency 403-266-1234 for:
– Unusual situations such as vehicles parked and “exchanging” items in the dark through car windows
– It is imperative that all non-911 matters are called in to this number so there is a record and statistics can be built. An example could be cars parked in the parking lot at 10pm (technically the park is still open), music on, wandering in and out of the park. In situations like this, although non-emergency, there are clearly suspicious activities occurring.
Call 311 or report online (which includes City of Calgary Bylaw) for:
– Dogs off Leash
– Vehicles parked in the Griffith Woods Parking lot after hours
– Vandalism to Griffith Woods
Calgary Police Service – Drug Tip Line 403-206-8100 if:
– You know of, or suspect – any drug dealing
The DRCA has this matter as a high priority item but we cannot solve the problem without community support. We need residents to be fully aware and to report any and all activities. It is the reporting that becomes the primary measurement for how important the matter is in relation to other matters around Calgary. Please report all activity to the appropriate area so we can ensure that our community and Griffith Woods Park remain safe and secure.