Who to Call (Safety & Security):
We all need to work together to discourage the dangerous, destructive and illegal activities that are happening in Griffith Woods.
We must ALL do our part to ensure it remains a family oriented and safe area. Be on the look out for suspicious activity including people who are hiking in with coolers, fire wood or who are being a general nuisance & misusing the park.
We ask all Discovery Residents to do their part and report what they see:
Call 911 for:
– Drinking and Driving
– Open Fires
– Illegal or suspicious activity underway
– Public Intoxication or Disturbing the Peace
– Graffiti in progress
– Vandalism in progress
Call Police Non-Emergency 403-266-1234 for:
– Unusual situations such as vehicles parked and “exchanging” items in the dark through car windows
– It is imperative that all non-911 matters are called in to this number so there is a record and statistics can be built. An example could be cars parked in the parking lot at 10pm (technically the park is still open), music on, wandering in and out of the park. In situations like this, although non-emergency, there are clearly suspicious activities occurring.
Call 311 or report online (which includes City of Calgary Bylaw) for:
– Dogs off Leash
– Vehicles parked in the Griffith Woods Parking lot after hours
– Vandalism to Griffith Woods
￼￼￼Call Crime Stoppers 1-800-222-8477 if:
– You have any information to assist in identifying individuals generating graffiti
Calgary Police Service – Drug Tip Line 403-206-8100 if:
– You know of, or suspect – any drug dealing
The bottom line is, we need to spread the message that Griffith Woods is NOT the place for any inappropriate and dangerous activities.
THERE IS PUNISHMENT…
CRIMINAL CODE OFFENCES:
• IMPAIRED DRIVING (ALCOHOL AND / OR DRUGS) – CRIMINAL CODE: COURT AND / OR PROVINCIAL SUSPENSION DEPENDANT ON LEVEL OF IMPAIRMENT.
• DRUG POSSESSION / TRAFFICKING – CRIMINAL CODE: COURT
• Arson — damage to property. CC434. Every person who intentionally or recklessly causes damage by fire or explosion to property that is not wholly owned by that person is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding fourteen years.
• Arson — disregard for human life.CC433. Every person who intentionally or recklessly causes damage by fire or explosion to property, whether or not that person owns the property, is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for life where
(a) the person knows that or is reckless with respect to whether the property is inhabited or occupied; or
(b) the fire or explosion causes bodily harm to another person.
***Note with regard to the wording ‘intentionally or recklessly’: the police, crown prosecution and court would probably consider an illegal fire pit in dry dense bush to be reckless.
ENTER OR REMAIN IN PARK WHEN CLOSED – $100
IGNITE OR ALLOW A FIRE TO BURN EXCEPT IN FIRE PIT PROVIDED – $100 BURN LEAVES OR OTHER DEAD FALL IN A PARK – $100
LEAVE FIRE UNATTENDED – $100
FAIL TO EXTINGUSH FIRE – $100
CAMP IN PARK – $100
ERECT TENT OR STRUCTURE IN PARK $100
PARK VEHICLE OUTSIDE SET HOURS – $50
LEAVE VEHICLE BETWEEN 11PM AND 5AM – $50
DRIVE VEHICLE AT SPEED GREATER THAN 20KPH UNLESS POSTED – $100 DAMAGE OR DESTROY WILDLIFE HABITAT – $200
USE AN AMENITY PATHWAY OR TRAIL FOR OTHER THAN INTENDED PURPOSE – $200
STUNTING OR UNSAFE ACTIVITY IN PARK – $100
ACTIVITY WHICH MAY DISTURB ENJOYMENT OF PARK – $100
OPERATE AMPLIFICATION SYSTEM IN PARK – $50
DO ANYTHING LIKELY TO ATTRACT A CROWD IN PARK – $50
DISOBEY A SIGN IN PARK – $100
DISPOSE OF WASTE IN PARK OTHER THAN IN PROVIDED RECEPTICAL – $500 DISPOSE OF WASTE FROM VEHICLE IN PARK OTHER THAN IN PROVIDED RECEPTICAL – $750
DISPOSE OF BURNING WASTE IN PARK $1000
URINATE IN PARK – $100
LEAVE PATHWAY OR TRAIL IN GRIFFITH WOODS – $100
The DRCA has this matter as a high priority item but we cannot solve the problem without community support. We need residents to be fully aware and to report any and all activities. It is the reporting that becomes the primary measurement for how important the matter is in relation to other matters around Calgary. We must work together before there is a serious forest fire or a vehicle departing, after the driver was partying in the woods, hits someone. Please report all activity to the appropriate area so we can ensure Griffith Woods remains a priority and safe for all.